Thursday, June 28, 2012

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

As a huge fan of The Office, I've been eyeing this memoir by Mindy Kaling, one of the head writers/ producers and actresses on the show, for many months now. Funnily enough, I apparently bought it in the Kindle store awhile back, and then forgot that I had it until I opened my Kindle to download the Laura Vanderkam e-book. So after I was done reading about what successful people do before breakfast, I read Kaling's success story- in a very different style, of course.



Kaling starts off the book by deferring to Tina Fey's memoir, Bossypants, saying that it's the better comedian's memoir and that no one can live up to Tina Fey. I'd say that's accurate. I liked this book- it was funny and interesting- but unlike Bossypants, I found it completely forgettable the moment I put it down. I think that's the test of a really great book- when you can't stop thinking about it days or weeks later. (There's a blog post idea!) Kaling's book didn't pass that test, but it was a fun, quick read.

If you are a fan of The Office, or comedy writers in general, you will probably enjoy this book. Kaling is much more snarky, quirky and edgy than her character Kelly Kapoor. She writes about her conservative Indian upbringing, her first forays into love of comedy, and the path she took to getting hired as the only female original writer on the staff of a hit show. She intersperses her life story with lists, brief anecdotes and jokes. It's all written in a smart, self-deprecating style.

Assessment: A good summer beach read.

No comments:

Post a Comment