Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Things I Am Grateful For

When you're going through a challenging time, the little things in life start to mean more. To qualify, by challenging, I don't mean painful or even difficult, since those have negative connotations. I just mean that life is challenging you, stretching the limits of your abilities and forcing you to learn new skills. That's a good description of my current state of being, and I think most new parents would feel the same.

Here are some of the little things I am grateful for right now:

1. The tiny book light on my Kindle so that I can read during a 3 AM feeding and not wake my husband or disturb my child.

2. The sound sleeper that makes soothing nature noises to help all of us get to sleep.

3. Our older cat, who is usually a needy princess, going completely against expectations and adjusting to life with the baby beautifully. She's not even crying at the closed bedroom door, which she did for weeks before the baby came. She actually seems calmer and more self-assured than ever.

Here's a picture of my Ari:



Isn't she beautiful?

4. Decaf nonfat pumpkin spice lattes that my dad brings me from Starbucks most days. Thanks, Dad! (Even though I know you're mostly doing it so you can see your grandson.)

5. Aaron Sorkin. During the long wait before the baby came, my husband and I watched a lot of West Wing, which was free with our Amazon Prime membership. I love the writing, the pace, the wit. That prompted me to re-watch the single season of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, another Sorkin creation. I think it was a travesty that the show wasn't picked up for more seasons. Even with the competition from 30 Rock, another NBC show about late-night sketch comedy, I still think it would have held up. The writing and acting were brilliant and didn't compete at all with 30 Rock's style.

At any rate, Sorkin has gotten me through a few late nights recently, and I'm grateful.

6. All the Sephora beauty products I bought this summer. I like to shop, and since I couldn't shop for clothes, not wanting to waste money on maternity clothing for one summer, I spent a lot more time at my favorite beauty store. I love getting lost in Sephora, finding new products and spritzing all the perfumes. I've only been wearing the basics of makeup lately (concealer, powder foundation and mascara) but I still take the time every morning and night to smear on my favorite Korres moisturizers. I'm a huge fan of Korres products. They're expensive, but they're organic, feel wonderful, and last a long time. I think skincare is incredibly important, and I want to have good skin forever. So I'm grateful to Sephora and Korres.

There are more little things, and certainly a lot of big things- like my husband, our families, and our fantastic pediatrician- so this list is just a small piece of my gratitude. I hope all of you take some time today to think about the little things you're grateful for. If I have time to appreciate them, so do you!

No comments:

Post a Comment